Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Snowman

Ben has decided he wants to build a snowman. Where he heard about snowmen, I have no idea. We had snowman decorations last year, but we never actually went outside to play in the snow. One year, after his first birthday, we went out in the snow. His snow pants and coat were so puffy and his boots were so big that he couldn't walk. We spent 30 minutes getting bundled up, got him onto a sled, he cried, and we came inside! Last year, Hadley was still little, so time outside was limited.
How he heard about snowmen is a mystery.
As it rained and rained this evening, he'd say, "Mom when can we build a snowman? The snow's gonna come from way up to the sky."
I tried to explain it to him - I even reverted to science (and if you follow this blog, you'll know that reverting to science seems to backfire see Just a little dinner conversation). I tried to explain that it needed to be 32 degrees and it was 57 - that comment got a look from Jer. I showed him the weather alerts on my computer and showed him the rain and that no snow was coming. It still didn't matter.
I talked to my dad on the phone this afternoon. When Ben got the phone to talk to Papa, the first words out of his mouth were, "When it snows will you build a snowman?"
My dad responded with "It's raining, do you want to build a rainman?" Thank goodness that went over his head!
While I'm glad he's picking up on things and excited for winter, He's going to be awfully disappointed when it snows for the first time and no snowmen come because it was just a flurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment