Monday, November 1, 2010

Advice for Papa

My brother-in-law Andrew got a deer this evening. He stopped by to show us the deer and pick up the dinner I owed him for watching my kids on Friday. To his credit, he didn't ask for the dinner, I offered it because he saved us!
Ben asked a TON of questions about the deer.
  • Why did Andrew shoot that deer?
  • What's Andrew gonna do with that deer?
  • Why did he shoot it?
  • Why did Andrew shoot that big deer?
Are you sensing a theme!
I told him Andrew likes to hunt. The reply: Why did Andrew hunt that big deer? I really wasn't winning. So I told him, "Andrew's gonna go home and cut that deer up and put it in the freezer. Then, he's going to eat it later." For whatever reason, that satisfied his curiosity.
A little while later, I was on the phone with my dad. Ben wanted to tell him thank you for the Halloween candy and quarters - My dad's signature is giving out rolls of change for special events. It's the greatest thing. In this case, he gave Ben a roll of dimes, but to him it's all quarters.
Ben said, "Thank you for the candy." That was followed by something that neither of us understood.
Then, the following advice came from Ben (out of the mouths of babes):
"Andrew shot a big deer. You need to shoot a big deer. He's going to cut it up and put it in the freezer. Then he's gonna eat it later."
For those of you who know my dad, he did NOT need the advice from an almost 3 year old. Although he did find the humor in it. I am sure that I hinted a touch of disappointment that Andrew got a big deer on some property that is close to one of Dad's hunting grounds... He may be headed out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment