Thursday, February 3, 2011

Straying from the norm

I know that I usually use my blog to showcase the funny things that go on in the Burnett house. Truly, there are days when things happen that I really don't think anyone else would believe. I suppose that's true in any house.
Today, however, in light of recent events, I am simply overcome with gratefulness for my family.
When I was a kid my dad coached baseball. I spent a great deal of time in and out of the Badger High School Varsity Baseball dugout. I remember spending long hours playing baseball in my yard with my dad and some of the players when they'd come over. Thus, I was introduced to Cody Betts. Fast forward like a million years, and I'm following the progress to bring Cody home to spend his last days with his family. How crazy is that. My Facebook lights up every 5 minutes with posts of people updating his status or donating money or creating events.
I cannot begin to fathom the pain of this family. While I have faced a number of events throughout my life, I have never been through anything close to this. I am grateful that my children and husband are healthy. I am grateful that I am healthy. It truly gives me pause to reflect on the reasons why things happen to some and not others. Selfishly, I wish I had answers - for my own peace of mind. Things like this make me crave more time with my family, my children, and my husband. I want to build walls of protection around them to keep all of the bad out. I have to trust my life, the lives of my children, my husband, and my family to our Creator. I know that he has a plan, a purpose, and love. I don't have to understand, but I guess that can make faith difficult; because we don't understand.
As I ramble, I realize I'm only posing more questions and leaving less answers. With that, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment