Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bed time songs

I remember being a little girl and having my mom sing to me every night. We sang whatever songs she thought of - from Christmas Carols to show tunes. I've started the same thing with Hadley. She loves to snuggle down into my shoulder and drift off to sleep while I sing.
I started making up songs just so that we could keep singing. I sing her prayers to tunes of songs she likes. Every time I stop, she says "Do it again, Mom" in her little Hadley voice. It's the single most peaceful part of my day!
Tonight she started singing with me. I made up a "Jesus song" that we now sing. It's to the tune of "Good Night my Someone" from Music Man. (My originality is amazing! ;)) The words are
Thank you Jesus for today,
for time to play.
Thank you Lord for family.
Please give me good thoughts and good dreams.
I sang a line and then she'd repeat it. If you've ever heard her, she occasionally has a register that only dogs can hear. This is how she sang with me tonight - maybe that's how I sound to her!
It's in these moments that I realize how blessed I am to have my kids. They keep me grounded and in perspective. It's in these moments that I remember that I can only be effective as a parent if I'm rooted in Jesus and allowing him to guide me. I've learned to take the little things seriously because I don't want to miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment